Saturday, September 18, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies

One of my all-time favorite cookies.

I remember Grandma making them for me when I was growing up. They were an especially nice treat when I was in college and would receive a tin!

You can make them with crunchy peanut butter or smooth & creamy.

My mom wrote the recipe down for me when I left home as a newlywed in 1985 when we were college sophomores.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter, peanut butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Sift together your dry ingredients and add into your creamed mixture.

Or you can be lazy like me and add in the baking soda and salt first to make sure it gets into the creamed mixture really good, then add your flour, without sifting any of it.

Shape into 1-inch balls, or something like that. Roll in more sugar. Place on your cookie sheet and criss-cross each cookie with a fork. I have to dip my fork in the sugar so it doesn't stick.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. You might need to adjust this, because when I use my dark cookie sheet they get really dark and crunchy at 10 minutes. But we like chewy cookies.

This makes about 5 dozen cookies.




I won't even tell you how many I ate the first day, except that it was less than a dozen.

12 comments:

Mari said...

I love peanut butter cookies and was just craving them yesterday. Now you taunt me with a picture! Can you drive some over my way?

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am so excited to know you and your husband....Heathers angels...

Many prayers for you are you take this jouney

Alum Groups of Delta Delta Delta said...

Kayern, I am so grateful that
Cathy (thestylishhouse.net) led
me to your blog site....I am a recipe hound and as real baker
of cookies and bars for others
as well as our cookie jar. The
peanut butter recipe is just
what I need to make some for my
collegiate "chum" She loves
everything peanutty so I will
be taking her some next week.
I also get some recipes from
Martha Stewart's Cookie a day
site. They sure make some
mistakes in their recipes so
I view them as a baking vet.
Tha nk you again.........Myke

The Stylish House said...

Kayren,
These look wonderful! I'm also a fan of peanut butter fudge.
P.S. Alumnae Group is my MIL, Heather's grandmother also known as Mimi. Have a nice rest of the weekend!
Hugs, Cathy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yumm! I'd love to have some PB cookies right about now :o)

God bless you and your family for this amazing gift of yours to Heather. Prayers for you, your family and Heather and hers during this procedure and afterwards for a quick recovery.

Blessings & Aloha!

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! One of my all time favorites! I think it's about time to make some!

It's me said...

Wow......so exciting that your husband is Heathers donor !!!!.....i will pray for you and for the operation that everything goes well!! your husband must be an angel sending by God........Hallelujah !!...i am so glad !!!! thanks so many thanks !!! gugs and love from me Ria.....

Pamela said...

I just hopped over from Cathy's and wanted to tell you how wonderful you and your family are to be helping out a complete stranger!! Your generosity I am sure will be greatly repaid in many many ways! God Bless you and your family!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Hi Kayren, I read about you and your amazing hubby Robert. What your family is about to do for Heather. I have never heard of something like this before. Speechless...
I think we should all lit a candle November 15th.
Many prayers for your beautiful family. xx

Zara said...

Amazing what your husband (& and you also!) are going to do for Heather!
God bless!

Cousin B said...

Kayern, I think your blog is wonderful. I was led over here by Cathy's...Word's escape me. You, your wonderful husband and family are an amazing gift. I am praying for both of your families health and blessings.

Pevdog said...

Hey Guys!!
Call me!
870-405-4373

Clint

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma