Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homemade Chili

*This recipe can be halved for a smaller group or family, or if you don't want leftovers.


Chili

4 lbs. ground beef
2-3 packages McCormick's Original Chili Seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
2-3 cans mild chili beans, drain juice off the top (I use 2 for at home because of Hubby's gout; 3 if I'm taking it out for other people)
2 large cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 large can of tomato sauce

Brown the ground beef. Stir in all the other ingredients. DO NOT follow the McCormick's package directions. Simmer for 15 minutes or so.

Eat and enjoy with Fritos, or cheese, or Fritos and cheese. Or just plain old Zesta crackers crushed on top. However you like it.

If you want to make it ahead of time and put it in a crock pot, you can! There are a couple of options:

1. If you're going to a potluck or something like that where you'll be eating it right away, prepare as directed, and put it in the crock pot for a little while before you go so the crock pot has time to warm up.

2. Brown the ground beef, or pull out some you prepared ahead of time (I cooked mine the night before). Place it in the crock pot and mix all your other ingredients directly with your meat in the crock pot. Add some water if you will be simmering it all day (I took mine to the quilting day so it did). I added somewhere between 1/2 and 1 cup of water.

If you've read my recipes before you know I usually tweak them or leave something out. This one I don't. It's because it's mine. :)

This post is linked to Crock Pot Wednesday at Dining with Debbie.

4 comments:

Jean Stockdale said...

Sounds great. I wish I had this made right now. It is cold here and that would taste so good! Blessings.

Love Bears All Things said...

I have yet to eat a homemade chili I liked well enough to want the recipe but I think I might try this one. I made one with that seasoning years ago, I remember. I don't know why I quit.
Mama Bear

Mari said...

I've never used that chili seasoning, but the rest of the recipe is very similar to mine. I'll be trying it!

aspire2 said...

YUM!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma