Monday, February 1, 2010

French Toast

So sorry I don't have pictures, but we ate before I even had time to think about it.

And it's so good I have to share without pictures.

The French Toast recipe that was recommended from my church friend totally rocked! I eat French Toast, but I don't make French Toast. I've never tried making it before. It was sort of intimidating for some reason.

I used my homemade sourdough bread, which has enough sugar in it that it's almost a little sweet. I used two loaves minus the ends for the French Toast. I let my starter multiply a while back and have two jars going because I give some loaves to a family at church. If I make this very often I'm going to need more, so I'm going to try and "start" some starter, and then if it works, I can share it with all of you and you can make your own bread too. Wouldn't that be fun? I so hope it works.

Here is the French Toast recipe from allrecipes:

  • 6 thick slices bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • salt to taste

Beat together egg, milk, salt, desired spices and vanilla.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high flame.
Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides. Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.

and here are my tips for the recipe:

  • I didn't use the nutmeg.
  • I did use the cinnamon.
  • I totally used the vanilla.
  • I used a sprinkle of salt in the egg/milk mixture.
  • Instead of using oil or cooking spray in my skillet, I used 2 Tablespoons of butter (it was a family sized skillet).
  • I put a lid on the skillet so the bread would heat through well (this was one of the recommendations in the reviews).
  • I would probably recommend re-buttering in between if you cook more batches, or at least watch it closely. If you do more than two batches in the skillet, you would definitely need to re-butter.
  • I had to triple the recipe for what I made.

You could top this with homemade strawberry topping (or any fruit topping for that matter), but I didn't have any made (I should say I didn't have any left since I ate it with my vanilla yogurt), so we just used plain syrup tonight.

3 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

I love french toast! Now that you've made it I bet you'll do it a lot. yum!

Mari said...

Yum! I need to make French toast again, and try this recipe. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love to make French Toast with Texas toast. It our teen's favorite.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma