Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Delicious Dinner

All four of the kids oohed and aahed over this one. I hadn't made it in at least a year, maybe two, so they didn't really remember it. I bought the really big bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts from Sam's Club, so I doubled everything in the recipe for our family. We only had two pieces of chicken left. I think three of my four kids ate two pieces each!

I served the chicken with fresh vegetables and ranch dressing, and a spinach salad. I put sliced strawberries, some almonds, shredded cheese from a bag and Marzetti's spinach salad dressing on it. I mix the dressing up half dressing/half water so it's not quite so thick before I toss the salad.



Basil Grilled Chicken
reprinted from a Southern Living recipe card I got in the mail years ago

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Fresh basil sprigs (optional)

Press 3/4 tsp pepper into meaty sides of chicken breast halves. Combine 1/3 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup chopped basil; stir well. Brush chicken lightly with melted butter mixture.

Combine 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 tablespoons basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until mixture is well blended and smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl; set aside. (I just mixed it up really well with a spoon. I also used regular basil from the spice aisle here, even though I used fresh basil in the first step. I know, I'm a rebel.)

Grill chicken over medium coals 8 - 10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with remaining melted butter mixture. Serve grilled chicken with basil-butter mixture (I didn't do this; we used it all basting). Garnish with fresh basil sprigs, if desired (I didn't do this either).

We will be making this next week when company comes!

3 comments:

Mari said...

That looks so good! I'll be trying out that chicken. I love grilled chicken and can always use another recipe for it!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh yum! There is nothing like grilling chicken! When your kids love it, it really makes you feel good, huh!

Bonnie said...

yummmy

yum

yum

(wipes drool from chin)

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma