Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Roast in the Crock Pot

I always use about 6 lbs of roast. It depends on what is on sale. I would only do 3 lbs if I either didn't want leftovers or did not plan to have company. I usually end up with two pieces that average 3 lbs each.

Brown each roast in olive oil on the stovetop.

I had my towel covering the back part of the stove to keep from having to clean it from any grease splatters, and I singed the edge of the towel. Eek!

Transfer each one to the crock pot. I sprinkle each one with some black pepper and sea salt, and press it in with a spoon.

Of course there is no salt or pepper pressed into the roast in this picture.

I use between four cups and four cans of beef broth with the two roasts. It depends on what I have on hand. I like to use four cans because then I can make sure that my carrots and potatoes are well covered later in the day, but four cups works okay too. I usually put a little in the bottom before I put in the first roast. Just because.

I cook mine on high for 6-8 hours. During the last couple of hours I put in a bag of baby carrots and several cut-up potatoes. I have a lot of people that like potatoes at my house, so I probably do more than most people would.

When the vegetables are tender, it's time to eat!

Tomorrow I'll share the recipe for special sandwiches made with the leftover meat and juices. Mmmmm.....

2 comments:

Mari said...

Yum! I do my roasts in the crock pot too. They get so tender that way.
Looking forward to the sandwich recipe!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

After having surgery this last week, A friend brought over some stew she made and it was absolutely the most tender and tasty! I asked her what she did - she put coffee it it! I'm not a coffee drinker - don't like the bitterness, but I didn't taste it one bit! Looking forward to the sandwich recipe as well.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma