Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bread Starter and Bread Recipe

What a boring title...


I have starter that a friend gave me, but how do you *start* starter?

I tried it. It's called sourdough, but technically since it uses yeast it isn't.

To start your starter:

1 pkg yeast (I used rapid rise)
1/2 cup warm water

Mix well until yeast is dissolved. Then add the following ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar
3 T potato flakes
1 cup warm water

Mix well and pour into clean glass jar. Cover with a towel and leave sitting on the counter for 8 hours. Put the lid on and keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. Then feed your starter and make bread.

To feed your starter:

3/4 cup sugar
3 T potato flakes
1 cup warm water

Mix well and let stand out of refrigerator all day (8-12 hours) uncovered.

NOTE: When bubbly, take out 1 cup to make bread and return to refrigerator. Keep 3-5 days and feed again. If you did not make bread, give or throw away the 1 cup. Always feed every 3-5 days to avoid deflating starter. (I make my bread at night after the starter has been sitting out all day. It's very bubbly at first, but this isn't when you're supposed to use it. I let the dough rise overnight and then make the three loaves the next morning. See below. I also have to throw out a smidge of my starter even when I use the 1 cup for making bread.)

Bread:

(Makes 3 Loaves)
In a large bowl
1 cup starter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix with a spoon and add:

6 cups bread flour

Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead a little. Oil bowl and put dough in and turn over so oily side is up. cover and let stand on counter overnight (10 hours).

Next Morning:

Punch dough down and knead a little. Divide into 3 parts and knead each on a floured surface 8-10 times. Put into greased pans, cover, and let rise 4-6 hours until rounded loaves appear. (Weather will determine time - dough rises slowly)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-32 minutes. Remove, brush tops with melted butter. Cool on rack.

My starter I started rose much higher than my regular dough does.

Usually it doesn't even reach the top of the inside of this bowl.

The loaves also rose faster in the pans.

I think this was before they got slathered with butter.

Mmmmm....I hope you enjoy. If anyone has questions I'll answer them in the comments so everyone can see.

9 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

That's exactly the same starter I have! I'm impressed that you started you own. I tried a recipe for that once (not the potato flake kind) and it turned out horrible!! Plus it stunk up the whole house! Now I'm curious...I just may have to try making my own with the potato flakes...just to see if I can.
Oh~and thanks for reminding me, I need to go make a batch before bed tonight:)

Mari said...

Oh yum! I'm so impressed. I rarely make yeast bread, let alone my own starter!

Unknown said...

Your bread is actually beautiful. Will be trying this soon! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the recipe!! Your bread looks so yummy! I'm starting mine today:)

Betsy Brock said...

I can almost smell those loaves! Mmmmm!

The Stylish House said...

Hi Karen,
I have been looking how to do this for a VERY long time, woo, woo!
Also I want to thank you for visiting and entering my PB giveaway. Good Luck!
CAthy

Lisa said...

Hi Karen, I have a bread question...I was getting the bread ready for its overnight rise and it is really wet and gooey.

Six cups of flour doesn't seem like near enough to be able to handle the dough.

Any ideas?

The starter, best I can tell, is ready to go to work, but the flour amount has me baffled.

Thanks for any help.

Kayren said...

Lisa,

I usually eyeball my flour when I'm measuring out my six cups. I think I probably do what I'd call a generous six cups, and by that I don't mean they are rounded, but they aren't flattened off with a straight edge.

I sprinkle flour on my board, and then I dump my dough out on it to knead after I've mixed it up pretty well in the bowl. If my dough is so sticky that it's sticking badly to my hands, and sometimes it is, I will sprinkle a little more flour on it as I'm kneading it. The dough is stickier at night (but not runny) and stretchier the next morning.

You'll kind of get a better feel for it as you go along and make more. I know that probably doesn't make you feel good right now, but as long as your dough isn't runny or so sticky that you can't get it off your hands, you're probably okay.

Keep me posted!

Lisa said...

Yeah, it was very sticky...it didn't rise very much overnight. I'm going to proceed and see what happens:) and try again in a few days.

Thanks for getting back to me.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma