Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Steak Burritos

I got this recipe for Steak Burritos from my friend Mari over at My Little Corner of the World. It was a hit with my family and I would recommend it. Thanks, Mari!

Steak Burritos

2 flank steaks (about 1 pound each)
2 envelopes taco seasoning (I used my homemade)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 tablespoon vinegar
10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped, seeded plum tomatoes
3/4 cup sour cream

Cut steaks in half; rub with taco seasoning. Place in 4 quart slow cooker which has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with onions, chilies and vinegar. Cover and cook for 9 hours on low, until meat is tender. Remove steaks and cool slightly; shred meat with 2 forks.

Return to slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 1/2 cup of meat mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, tomato and sour cream. Fold ends and sides over filling.
Yield: 10 servings

If you've read my blog for any time at all you know I never follow a recipe exactly like it's written. It's either because I'm lazy or because I don't like something that's in it, or both.
  1. I doubled the recipe and had 2 pieces of 2 lb. flank steak, but I didn't read the directions well and didn't cut them in half, but I couldn't have if I had, because they were frozen solid since I didn't plan ahead properly. I also used a bigger slow cooker.

  2. I cooked it on high for a few hours since my meat was frozen. I also only put on about half of my taco seasoning to start with. I waited until my flank steak was thawed out and unrolled to put the rest on the other side.
  3. I was rather skeptical about this until about an hour or so before it was finished. I couldn't figure out how it was going to be juicy without having any water or broth or something liquid (other than that little bit of vinegar) added to it. I was pleasantly surprised.
  4. I just used pre-shredded colby-jack cheese.
  5. I did not seed and chop plum tomatoes; I just peeled and chopped up some regular ones. Does anybody really seed their tomatoes? Not a rhetorical question...I'd like to know.
  6. We just scooped sour cream from the container.
  7. I think we used larger tortillas.
  8. I did not shred my meat with two forks and I did not remove it from the crock pot to do it. I just dug at it with my tongs and spatula that had already been in the meat and it was so tender it just shredded apart nicely on its own. Shredded or shred? I've had migraine medicine today and can't figure it out right now.

  9. We used salsa also. I'm using some chili beans next time too. I need to figure out how to roll the burrito so it doesn't drip out the bottom.

  10. The end.
Six pairs of thumbs up!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Glad you liked them. I use regular cheddar cheese and regular seeded tomatoes too. I don't fuss with things like that. Now I need to make these again.

Unknown said...

I love to put flank steak in the slow cooker it always comes out so tender. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! I could eat one right now...for breakfast! ha!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma