Wednesday, May 19, 2010

WFMW — Homemade French Toast Sticks

Sometimes I'll have extra homemade bread when I'm ready to make another batch. Just because I feed my starter doesn't mean I make some, but if I just have a loaf left, it's time.

But nobody wants to eat the old loaf if new fresh ones are available.

That's an excellent time to make French Toast.

Today I had two loaves left when I made new bread, and the kids and I ate most of one for lunch as fresh French Toast. Then I went ahead and sliced the other one up like I normally would for French Toast, then sliced each individual slice from side to side into two pieces.

I put them on wax paper on a cookie sheet when they had cooled some, then I placed them in the freezer to let them harden without sticking together before I put them in a Ziploc bag.


I took two slices, put them on a microwave plate, and cooked them for one minute. They were good and hot.

The only way you can tell the difference between frozen and cooked is the little bit of frost on the side in the above picture. The bottom one had been in the microwave.

Top with some powdered sugar.

After you're finished taking pictures, put more powdered sugar on because you have an obsession with all things sugar, and you didn't want it to come through in the picture. You could use syrup instead.

Works for me! For more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips, visit Kristen at We Are THAT Family.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Good idea to freeze it. I've done that frequently with pancakes, but for some reason, haven't tried it with french toast.

Anonymous said...

Great use for old bread and what kiddo doesn't love French toast sticks?!?

Mom2fur said...

Oooh, French Toast made with homemade bread! My homemade bread never lasts that long, mostly because I hardly ever make it. But I have done something similar with 'day old' bread from the supermarket. "Texas Toast" bread from Trader Joe's is great for it, too.
What I do is put the prepared French Toast on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick stuff. I bake at 350 on one side for 7 minutes, then on the other for 3 minutes. I haven't cut the bread slices up into strips, but I will next time--looks like fun!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma