Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole
from my mom

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
salt to taste
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
2 well beaten eggs
1/3 cup milk (any kind except buttermilk)

Combine and pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam (my mom doesn't always spray it with Pam first). If you don't double this recipe, use an 11 x 7.

Cover with topping:

1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 T melted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Add marshmallows to the top and brown.

So you know my penchant for not following a recipe exactly if you read any of my recipes. Well, this one is no exception. But it's not bad, promise.

Just as my mom does, I double this recipe. She does it because she is feeding more people. I do it because I want the leftovers.

And do you know that I've only been eating sweet potatoes for about five or so years. I wanted to like them for the longest time, and I finally do, but they have to have a lot of butter and sugar with them.

A LOT!

So although I double the recipe, I actually triple the topping. Except for maybe the nuts. I think I only end up with about a cup of nuts, give or take.

And those marshmallows. Well, they only end up on about half of the 9 x 13 casserole that a double recipe requires this to be made in. Hubby likes marshmallows on his. Me, that would qualify as food in my food. Or food on my food.

Whatever!

Just in case you aren't a big sweet potato aficionado, if I need six cups of mashed sweet potatoes, I buy six sweet potatoes. Sometimes they are big and I have more than six cups, so I either put it aside for later or throw it out if it isn't enough to make more later. I boil my potatoes (my mom bakes hers), let them cool, then the skin peels right off. They are so easy to mash!

My mom makes her casserole the night before except for the topping. She takes it out of the refrigerator to let it come a little more to room temperature, then puts the topping on it and cooks it. She said it saves a ton of time on Thanksgiving morning.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I've only been eating sweet potatoes for about 10 years or so myself:) I like them most of all baked with lots of butter and salt, but I'm learning to like them in casseroles with lots of sugar, too. lol

This looks like a good recipe! I've only made sweet potato casserole once before (I'm supposed to make it again this year). My hubby likes the marshmallows on tops, so that's the kind I decided on, but I think the strussel topping is yummy, too.

Betsy Brock said...

Mmmm! I can almost smell them!

SnoWhite said...

thank you so much for the recipe! I LOVE sweet potatoes. We use them in recipes that call for pumpkin since my hubby is allergic to pumpkin.

we've never made sweet potato casserole -- and it's on my Thanksgiving menu this week, so I appreciate your recipe.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma