Monday, December 27, 2010

Williamsburg Orange Cake

I always try to make a cake for Christmas since we celebrate it first as Jesus' birthday. This was the one I made this year.

Williamsburg Orange Cake
from my friend, Marsha


Cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T grated orange rind or 2 T orange juice
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Combine all the ingredients except the pecans, 30 seconds on low and then 3 minutes on high. Add pecans.

Pour evenly into 3 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.

Frosting:
3/4 cup butter, softened
6 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 T grated orange rind
7 1/2 T orange juice

Mix in blender until it is spreading consistency. You can add little bits of orange juice if you need more liquid.

Store in refrigerator.

You must use butter in the cake. My grandma tried to make this years ago when she was still living after I had made it for her for her birthday. She used margarine. It didn't work.

8 comments:

Mari said...

This sounds wonderful, minus the pecans!

Kayren said...

I didn't add the pecans this time either!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I can't wait to try this wonderful sounding cake!!! I've gotta hurry up before I go on that dreaded first of the year diet though!!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Kayren Sweetie...
Oh my gosh does this every look and sound yummy. This is one I have got to try and soon. I know everyone would love, love this one.

I especially love the pecans, as my folks have pecan trees and I get the biggest and best tasting ever. Yep I am adding the pecans. Love it.

Have a Happy New Year sweet one.
Many hugs and SO much love, Sherry

Betsy Brock said...

I have this recipe! I haven't made it in probably 10 years! I think mine has golden raisins in it, too. Really moist. Yum.

Kayren said...

That's funny, Betsy! I've had my recipe for over 20 years and haven't made it in over 10 years either. It's really pretty easy to make too.

Raisins, though? Never!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

This sounds wonderful!! I'm saving it:) I usually make Red Velvet Cake every Christmas. But this year I ran out of time. I'm making it for New Year's though, because it's my favorite:)

It's me said...

This is so so so yammie yammie....looks great !! happy last week of the year darling.......!! a year with miracles and angels.........such as your husbunny......!!! love love love Ria.........yes yes yes !!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma