Monday, January 11, 2010

Nachos!

The recipe I tried out worked, so I'm sharing it!

My underdressed nachos.

Keep in mind that I have a family of six and three teenagers. I also had leftovers, so you may very well want to half this recipe.

Nachos
by me

3 lbs. ground beef, cooked and drained (can be prepared ahead of time and warmed up)
2 pkgs. taco seasoning or equivalent (I used my homemade taco seasoning mix with no MSG)
1 1/3 cups water
16 oz jar taco sauce
2 16-oz cans traditional refried beans

Chips
Shredded Cheese
Salsa
Lettuce
Tomato
Sour Cream
Whatever floats your boat

Prepare ground beef or warm it up if you cooked it ahead of time. Mix in the taco seasoning and water. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Add refried beans and taco sauce to the meat mixture.

Mix well and heat on medium to medium-low until heated through.

Place chips on an oven-safe plate (or microwave-safe if you want to do it there, but they'll probably be soggy). Put your meat and bean mixture on the chips and top with shredded cheese.

Heat at 350 degrees for 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Transfer to another plate so nobody burns any fingers and you don't leave burn circles on your table.

I used sour cream on the side for mine. If I'd remembered to buy tomatoes at the store I would have chopped that up for the top. If I hadn't been lazy tonight I would have shredded up some lettuce to put on the top, too. But they were still yummy.

Hubby smothered his with salsa and then had sour cream on the side.

He was almost speechless, he enjoyed them so much, except that he kept going, "Oh, my goodness. Oh, my goodness." He liked them.

And the kids did too.

I was looking for something similar to what you get in a restaurant when you buy nachos off of the appetizer menu. I knew just putting refried beans on the bottom wasn't going to be right, and I also knew they wouldn't go on smoothly. Mixing them in with the meat and taco sauce made the meat/bean topping easy to put on the chips, and it did remind me of something you'd get in a restaurant.

Definitely another keeper!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Yum! I'll be trying these. I make nachos for an easy Saturday evening meal sometimes. We like to add jalapenos to ours too. Thanks!

Betsy Brock said...

Yum...we love anything like this...Taylor and I especially. Now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

HI! I wanted to introduce myself. I am Michele.. from SC. I found you through menuplanningmonday :) Im loving "getting to know you"

the nachos looked yummy! I make a casserole that is a lot like that. You layer beans, seasoned hambuger, salsa and cheese in a baking dish and bake until its all bubbly in the middle. Then I top it with sour cream, diced tomato, green onion and olives. Just serve it up with chips. My girls LOVE it. :)

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma