Saturday, May 29, 2010

Homemade Trail Mix

This is perfect to take along on camping trips (Hubby and the kids have been doing some of that), hiking, or birding (we've been doing a lot of that).

Trail Mix


1 Large Container of Mixed Nuts (no peanuts) - the size you get at Sam's Club
Part of a large container of Cashews since we're cashew crazy
Peanut m&m's to suit you (from the large bag at Sam's Club)
Regular m&m's to suit you and so Hubby has some without peanuts (also from the large bag at Sam's Club)
Craisins to suit you (a little redundant, but also from the large bag at Sam's Club)

Toss it all together in a big bowl.

I split mine up between two gallon sized Ziploc bags. It filled them a little more than halfway each.

I'm going to add some other dried fruits next time, but I wanted to keep it simple to start. It was a good idea since the boys and Chatty didn't like the Craisins.

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I love that type of trail mix. :)

May I ask why no peanuts in the nut mix, but you put peanut M&Ms in?

Mari said...

Great idea! My family would like it, but not me - I don't care for nuts and this is full of them. It looks pretty though :)!

Kayren said...

Lacey-
My husband has gout, and peanuts or peanut butter make it flare up. The nut mix always has tons of peanuts. By adding peanut m&m's, I can control the number, and he either doesn't have to eat them or the few he gets won't hurt. If he eats more than a couple of handfuls though he will have to not eat those m&m's.
Kayren

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! We're cashew crazy, too!

I do something very similar to this for a breakfast mix. Replace the candy with Cracklin O's cereal. Yum. I snack on it almost every morning. (once in a while I add a few choc. chips)

Explore & Grow said...

www.wholefoodforthewholefamily.blogspot.com

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma