Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings

As usual, I totally butchered a recipe I was using, but it turned out to be absolutely delicious.

Delicious!

I hope SnoWhite isn't too mad at me for playing around with her Chicken and Dumplings recipe. I used the "chicken" part of the recipe, but since I don't like mushrooms, and I don't put celery or green peppers in stuff unless I absolutely have to, and I was running out of time so I didn't bother to chop up the onion, and I despise green peas with every fiber of my being, it ended up being a bit different from hers. Plus I didn't do mine in the crock pot. Time issue again. I did it on the stovetop in a big old pot.

Still delicious.

So here's what I did (I doubled the original recipe also to have enough for all of us and a little left over, but not enough for everyone — this is doubled):

Chicken and Dumplings
tweaked from SnoWhite's recipe

2 cups baby carrots
1 48 oz box chicken broth
2/3 C flour
2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut up kind of messy
4-5 smallish potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup milk

Boil chicken, cool, and cut up or shred into bite-sized pieces.

Reserve two cups of the chicken broth. Take the remaining chicken broth and heat it in a large pot along with the milk, carrots, potatoes, seasoning, and your cut up chicken. Take the two cups of chicken broth and mix with the flour; stir it into the other broth mixture.

Simmer until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently, then make your dumplings and cook them. The directions originally called for cooking them for 10 minutes with the lid off and 10 minutes with the lid on. I had to add another 10 minutes with the lid on and turn up my heat just a little. It may have been because I doubled the dumpling recipe also and it was just too much for the top of the pot. Nothing horrible happened; there was just a little bit of the stew that stuck on the bottom of the pan.

Dumplings
from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1 tsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt

Mix above ingredients in a large bowl with a fork.

In a cup, combine 2/3 cup milk with 2 T vegetable oil; slowly stir into flour until soft dough forms.

Drop by heaping tablespoons onto chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes more (simmering).

With slotted spoon, remove dumplings. Spoon chicken into serving dish; top with dumplings.

This is the recipe not doubled.

This is a picture as soon as I put the dumplings on top of the stew.

This is when it was all finished. I had to take a close-up shot because I forgot to take one before we started spooning it out and eating it!

I loved the way the seasoning blend made this taste so much I'm going to use it when I make Chicken Pie for Christmas Day.

5 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Yum...that looks wonderful! I can almost smell it from here! :)

Mari said...

It looks so good! Those dumplings are making me hungry!

SnoWhite said...

Oh... wow. Yum! Nice work ;)

I love the seasonings too -- something subtle and delicious.

Merry Christmas!

Michele said...

Thanks for sharing...my whole family loves chicken and dumplings, so I will definitely have to try this one!

Hugz,
Michele

Bobbi said...

I'm making it tonight...so excited...think I'm going to blend you and SnoWhite together! HA! Love the dumplings idea...seasoned.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma