Monday, February 22, 2010

Hawaiian Chicken Breasts

I've been on the lookout for a recipe to replicate, at least somewhat, Hawaiian Chicken I used to eat at a local cafeteria at my hometown in Arkansas. This was the closest thing that I've found. The chicken itself tasted similar, which is of course the main ingredient. It's been so many years since I've had it and the cafeteria is no longer there, so I can't really remember about the rice on the side and what was in it.

This was a yummy new recipe for us. I'll definitely make it again and would recommend it. Of course I also had to double it.


Hawaiian Chicken Breasts

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
2 T margarine (I used butter, and a little more than it called for)
1 cup pineapple juice
2 T lemon juice
1 T cornstarch
1 T sugar
Slivered almonds, optional

Dip chicken breasts in egg, then roll in bread crumbs. Season with salt.

Melt margarine, or butter, in skillet. Brown chicken. I basically cooked mine over a medium heat for roughly 20 minutes until I knew they were pretty much cooked through. I have a hard time getting chicken done later in the process if it's not done first. Pour off excess fat, which I did not do. Add juices, cornstarch, and sugar to skillet. (I'd recommend mixing about a tablespoon of water with the cornstarch and adding it separately.) Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Top with almonds if desired.

I served this with white rice on the side. We used the juice in the skillet and poured it over the rice. It made it very tasty.

No comments:

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma