Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mother-in-Law Salad

My mom always made a fruity, fluffy salad every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and Hubby always ate it and enjoyed it. I don't know that he ever said anything about it until the year it wasn't there and asked, "Where is the Mother-in-Law Salad?"

Well, my mom said there was hardly ever any eaten or she didn't think anybody cared or something along those lines, so she didn't make it that year. Hubby was crushed. Never again has he been without Mother-in-Law Salad when we've been in Arkansas.

Do you know I didn't even come up with the name of this salad and I still got in trouble for it!

For Thanksgiving in 2003, the kids and I went over to another family's house since Hubby was in Kuwait. The husband's dad and stepmom were there also. I took several dishes, including Mother-in-Law Salad. I made the offhand comment about putting it in the refrigerator and totally missed all of the action that was going on behind me. Apparently my friend's mother-in-law heard me and thought I wasn't being nice, she tensed up, her husband already knew what the salad was, as well as my friend's husband. Later at the dinner table they said, "Hey, Kayren, tell her why you call it Mother-in-Law Salad." Of course I wasn't aware of anything yet and just blabbered all about how it got it's name from my Hubby because he loved my mom's salad and just gave it a name. I found out later that day when my friend could whisper to me what had happened and how I had her mother-in-law all in an uproar, over nothing. The only good thing was that they all thought it was absolutely hilarious that she was all in a dither.

Mother-in-Law Salad
from my mom

1 small pkg of red Jello
1 can cherry pie filling
24 oz cottage cheese, drained
2 cans fruit (cocktail or tropical), drained
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
2-8 oz Cool Whip, can use fat free or light
Marshmallows and Chopped Nuts, optional

Drain everything really good so that the salad will firm up well.

Start with the Cool Whip, cottage cheese and Jello. Mix together well before you add in the other ingredients. Add in everything else, stir together, and refrigerate. It will firm up some after you refrigerate it.

You can substitute other fruits and leave out the marshmallows and nuts. There is obviously a little room to play around with it, but if you like to stick with a recipe, especially at the beginning until you know what you're getting, do it this way (and with the tropical fruit!).

6 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

I have had this before...but not for years and years! As a matter of fact, I think it was MY mother-in-law that made it! ha!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Kayren..I'm blessed to know you! ;)

Kayren said...

Betsy ~ that is funny! You do know it's food in my food and I was one of the non-eaters, right? :)

I'm very thankful and blessed to know you as well, Betsy!

Cindy said...

Too funny! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
cindy

Unknown said...

Gotta love it. I'm glad that it all blew over and now it's just a funny story.

Marcus and I are off to volunteer at our church. My husband is in for a long day at Kmart.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Marcus and I made the whole dinner. It was my first turkey! And my husband loved it!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

prashant said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and lovely blog... u have..


Make website india

Heather said...

LOL! We have a similar version of that salad. One we make with orange jello and a different one we make with pistachio pudding. When I started dating my husband, he named the orange one "gunk" and this Thanksgiving my niece was calling the pistachio one "ice cream".

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma