Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Works For Me: The Five Ingredients Or Less Edition (Chili)

Our family loves this chili! This is something I've come up with on my own and then doubled along the way so we can eat on it for leftovers (usually two more times, but sometimes just once). The main thing you need to know is not to follow any part of the package directions from the chili seasoning mix.

2 pkgs very lean ground beef, about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs (I use 97%; you could use ground turkey too)
2 pkgs McCormick's Chili Seasoning (the original one, not the one that says mild or hot)
2 cans Chili Beans
1-2 large cans diced tomatoes (this is how you could make your chili stretch more)
1 large can tomato sauce

Brown the ground beef and then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 15 minutes and serve. I usually only put about half of the second can of diced tomatoes in, and then I'll hold the tomatoes back so the rest of the juice flows in. My kids aren't crazy about the tomatoes and pick around them. If I only use one large can of diced tomatoes I will usually add a smidge of water.

For more great recipes using 5! ingredients or less, go visit Rocks In My Dryer.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I use pretty much the same recipe only leave out the beans (not a big fan). My fiance says that although its not "real" chili (too hearty - you can eat it with a fork) that its the best he's ever had. He requested it for his birthday over anything else I could cook or dinner at a fancy restaurant - my treat!

I've either got a great guy or you and I share a great recipe. I suspect it to be a little of both.

Mari said...

My recipe is similar. My hubby is the one that picks the tomatoes out. I love chili and I plan for left over too.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Looks yummy!

I hope you enjoy reading The Shack if you do. I really did like it!

Thanks for checking out Vince's videos, too! We haven't heard what's up with the Ford Sync contest, although he has received the paperwork that they send out to winners, so we're waiting to hear something.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma