Monday, February 9, 2009

Memory Monday — Proverbs 4:23-27, Individually

These verses were each on a colored index card and then hung from the kids' bathroom mirror in Virginia. We have yet to find a great place for them here in Michigan since they no longer all share a bathroom.

Each card, except the one with the first verse, had a little note on the bottom to help them with the big words or with a little more application. That's what I'm going to share this week.

From memory:

Proverbs 4:23
Above all things else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Proverbs 4:24
Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

*perversity means really bad stuff (and I had a frowning face drawn next to that)
*corrupt talk means bad words and things that hurt people's feelings

Proverbs 4:25
Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.

This means keep your eyes on the Lord and what is right, so sometimes we have to look at our shoes in public.

Proverbs 4:26
Make level paths for your feet and walk take only ways that are firm.

Don't go somewhere you shouldn't and where you might be tempted to do wrong.

Proverbs 4:27
Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your feet foot from evil.

Satan is the curb we bump up on that keeps us from pleasing God. The curbs are things that tempt us to turn down another road even though we know we are on the right one.

I'm getting this posted much later than I wanted to, so I didn't get to go into much detail on the shoes thing. I also made a few mistakes in my verses, and being the perfectionist I am, I think I will get them right for next week, plus add verses 20-22 to the beginning. I love Deuteronomy 6:4-9, although realistically I don't think I can memorize those by next Monday also. I do think they really go hand in hand with these verses from Proverbs though. So I plan to memorize those by the next Monday. Maybe I will be able to at least get a head start on them.

I'm also going to challenge my children to memorize these five verses from Proverbs, and then they can post for Memory Monday next week too. Then I wouldn't have to find a place to put these cards up right away either.

Joanne hosts Memory Monday over at The Simple Wife every week. Have a blessed week!

3 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Morning, Kayren!

I love that you're having your kids do this too. My girls have verse cards from when they were younger--with stickers to help them remember things.

(I will set no worthless thing before my eyes--sticker of Sponge Bob!)

We got out of the habit because my girls learn verses at school, but that's not been an every week consistent thing. So it may be time to get them doing this at home again!

Thanks!

Joanne

Betsy Brock said...

Those are really great verses! I used to tape Taylor's memory verses to his bathroom mirror!

Lora said...

We've got Scripture on our bathroom mirrors too!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma