Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Socks"

Here is my "Sock" my grandma made for me that I grew up with.

Here is the one she made for Hubby when we got married. I love the Razorback.

I asked my mom to send them to me this year. My aunt knew just where they were in Grandma's house.

I have fond memories of the stockings at Grandpa and Grandma Wheeler's house. Grandma always called them "Socks" and Hubby and I do out of habit now. It's become a term of endearment.

As soon as we finished eating and cleaning up the kitchen, we read the Christmas story from Luke, then all the grandkids (there were four of us) got to open our socks prior to the presents. I always loved the socks the best.

My kids love the socks too. We love to stuff them, they love to open them. So much so, that when I saw this idea in Country Living, or Country Something-or-Another, about 10 years ago, I jumped all over it.

Bags.

Our socks have become bags.

But we still call them socks.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Rhetorical, I might add.

I made these with some flannel fabric without a pattern. When I was done I just folded the top over and sewed a seam to tack it down for the cuff. They are about 18 inches tall, which is totally an eyeball measurement. They would have been so much better if I'd known how to make that box bottom I just learned on those bags.

You know I'm going to be looking for some flannel fabric for some new sock/bag/stockings now.

And this year, we're opening the socks last.

4 comments:

Mari said...

I love your sock bags! The trouble with stockings is some things can't fit in them. The bags solve that issue.
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Love the bags! :D Those are great! I would love to do somee of those for next year. ;D

Betsy Brock said...

Cute! I have no idea where my stocking is from when I was young! I like the bag idea...stockings do get a little narrow, don't they!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

How fun! I bet you can fit lots of goodies in those:)

My mom still calls them *socks*...I think it's funny. Maybe it's an AR thing...lol

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma