Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WFMW — Control That Gift Wrap!

Have you seen all those cute pictures where people have their gift wrap stored in some kind of bucket, urn, or umbrella stand on the floor? The gift wrap always looks so cute and sits perfectly in its container. How?

Because even when I've had one of those stand-up wrapping paper storage containers and I've had a roll of gift wrap that's had the plastic removed, that gift wrap has a mind of it's own. It unrolls, regardless of whether or not I put some type of rubber band or extra ponytail holder from my girls around it. Even if I put them up and down. The paper just tears. Then it wouldn't look so pretty in one of those containers anyway, which would sort of defeat that purpose.

So until I have a bazillion dollars and a beautiful gift wrap station with room for hanging gift wrap, I have a zip-up bag that holds even the long rolls of gift wrap.

But I still have to deal with those partially used rolls of wrap, so they don't get torn up and drive me batty. It's the little things.

Just take an empty roll, or slip out the roll from the middle of the one you are using (when you're all finished with your wrapping), and cut the roll all the way down in as straight a line as possible. You may have done better in kindergarten than I did. I spent a lot of my time at the talking table. Seriously. There were six chairs, and Sammy J. was the only other person I remember who spent time with me there. That was getting close to 40 years ago, so I've slept too much since then to remember much more than that.

But I digress.

Put your roll of wrapping paper inside the now cut up cardboard tube, and it will stay nice until you need it again. The tubes aren't really made with firm cardboard, so they're easy to manipulate.

They will not get unrolled and all torn up this way, if your wrapping paper defies the laws of gravity or the proper behavior of wrapping paper. Because I still don't know how people show that wrapping paper in those decorative containers and it isn't the slightest bit unrolled. Completely befuddled!

You just won't want to display them in a container if you do this. Because cardboard isn't pretty.

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family.

3 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Oooh...this is an excellent idea!

Mari said...

What a great idea! I have a few plastic thingies that I got from current. They are about 1 inch wide, and are a flexible circle with an opening on the side. They slip over the wrapping paper to keep it from unrolling. Problem is I only have two. I'm going to be using your hint for the rest of the rolls!

Love Bears All Things said...

I have a box in the corner beside one of my shelving units and the paper rolls fit there and are out of the way. I actually use that card stock paper that comes as the roll of some paper as box wrap for shipping. Some paper is just thin and tears easily. I try to buy the thick paper sold through school fund raisers. I like the two sided kind. I usually buy a couple of big rolls at Hallmark or Walmart. I haven't bought any in 2 years. I did use some of it up this year so next year or after Christmas, I'd better pick up a couple of rolls. I also reuse boxes and gift bags so I save all of those in a box.
Mama Bear

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma