Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Intentional Simplification (When Our Basement Threw Up)

Into our garage.

There is a house being built on the lot next to ours now. When we open our garage door, the people working there can see in. I'm pretty sure they think we belong on the Hoarders show.

Do you also notice the lack of photos associated with this post?! Intentional.

The November weekend before Hubby had surgery, he emptied our unfinished basement onto the driveway. He was going to paint the basement floor to minimize the dust (concrete or drywall). Everything had pounds of dust all over it and it needed dusted off before it got put into the garage.

That Saturday while everything was on the driveway it started to sprinkle rain, so stuff quickly got placed in the garage. Stacked, crammed, and filled up. It wasn't pretty. (Guess who's been cleaning off the dust.)

That Sunday he used the shop vac to remove as much dust as possible from the basement before mopping the rest, then painting the floor.

Now comes the job of putting everything back in the basement.

Except we aren't.

I was so proud of myself when I went through
memorabilia and reorganized it. But I had a revelation a few days ago and Hubby was on board. The trophies and plaques, why do they need to take up two Sterilite boxes and the space that needs? We are never going to display them. Why are we going to leave them for our kids to go through someday when we aren't here anymore? That's just silly.

So they are in the trash for next Monday.

We are also getting rid of stuff. Extra toys and things that are just taking up space. Ebay has been our friend as has Salvation Army.

I've seen several people picking a word for the year. I'm not sure I could pick one. But I've seen intentional and simplify.

I'm calling this intentional simplification.

I'll show pictures when I'm done, a vehicle fits in the garage properly, and the basement is properly organized.

I'm at least halfway there.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Good for you! I like the words too!

Kayren said...

Intentional simplification or threw up? ;) Hubby got concerned that we had a basement leak when he read the title! And he knew what had been going on with the cleaning.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh how wonderful you will feel when it is ALL done! I love stuff like this. I cleaned everything out about 6 years ago. Every single closet, drawer and room needs it again. ha.

Bobbi said...

What, what? No BEFORE pictures to go with those AFTER pictures. How will we compare anything?? HAHAHA!

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma