Friday, October 31, 2008

15 Years Ago Today...

...I was on bed rest at my grandparents' house in Arkansas. All my maternal family lives there, and since my grandparents were home all day to keep an eye on me, they got me.

I'd been on bed rest since the last week of September. Hubby and I were supposed to move to Virginia for him to attend a military class for a few months that October. I wasn't allowed to travel that far once I got put on bed rest. So I got taken the three hours from Missouri to Arkansas, laying down in the back seat of our vehicle the whole way.

Today was Hubby's last official day as an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, although he's felt like he has been retired since he's been on terminal leave since the beginning of August. Tomorrow he will be a true civilian for the first time in a little over 20 years.

15 years ago when I was only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom, sit at the table to eat three meals each day, and take two showers a week, I had no concept of today. All I could think about was that home uterine monitor I wore each morning and evening, sending the results in every day to see if things were happening that I wasn't feeling, and my bruised hips, because I could only lay on my sides and not my back.

It's funny how today seemed to sneak up on me. It's a little strange that it made me think back to what I was doing 15 years ago today.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

1 comment:

Betsy Brock said...

I missed this post earlier! Boy...I can relate to the bedrest, sore hips, home monitor...and it all kind of being a blur. I hope your hubby enjoys his retirement!
We salute him, too, on this Veterans Day! :)

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma