Thursday, October 30, 2008

Book Review: Dark Pursuit (ARC)

I received this advance copy of Brandilyn Collins next novel Dark Pursuit a few weeks ago. I actually read it within 36 hours of receiving it and am only just now getting around to writing the review. There is something sort of intimidating about agreeing to write a review when you receive an advance copy of a book. I don't want to sound too dumb, and in trying not to sound too dumb, I don't want to give away the entirety of the book. There is a very fine line here, but I have procrastinated long enough.

This is the first Brandilyn Collins book I have read and I enjoyed it. I had just sworn myself off of thrillers, although I believer hers are called seatbelt suspense, when it came in the mail. I didn't think I'd gotten my name into the publisher in time to get a copy.

From the back cover of Dark Pursuit:

Novelist Darell Brooke lived for his title as King of Suspense—until an auto accident left him unable to concentrate. Two years later, recluse and bitter, he wants one thing: to plot a new novel and regain his reputation.

Kaitlan Sering, his twenty-two-year-old granddaughter, once lived for drugs. After she stole from Darell, he cut her off. Now she’s rebuilding her life. But in Kaitlan’s town two women have been murdered, and she’s about to discover a third. She’s even more shocked to realize the culprit—her boyfriend, Craig, the police chief’s son.

Desperate, Kaitlan flees to her estranged grandfather. For over forty years, Darell Brooke has lived suspense. Surely he’ll devise a plan to trap the cunning Craig.

But can Darell’s muddled mind do it? And—if he tries—with what motivation? For Kaitlan’s plight may be the stunning answer to the elusive plot he seeks...

This book didn't bother me like a lot of other thrillers. Even though there is a serial killer and the method of murder is mentioned, it just wasn't done in such a way that it disturbed me. I found that I didn't want to put the book down until I was finished and knew the final outcome. Since this was a novel about a novelist recovering from a serious accident, there are blips of manuscript scattered throughout the book. Craig is also writing a novel, so there are additional fragments to be found in several chapters. Collins' writing is rather amazing in these small pieces of unfinished manuscripts. She can even draw you into those. There were also twists at the end that were unexpected. This may be typical of Collins' writing style, but being the first time I've read her work I'm not sure.

If you like mysteries or thrillers, I think you'd like this book.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my birds blog and for leaving a comment. I was thrilled to learn that you had Pileated Woodpeckers at your house in Virginia. I have only seen one here in 46 years and managed to get some photos. I think there is one on the blog. Yep. Just checked. He looks more like a rocket ship than a bird as I photographed him as he flew over my head that day. You are also a home schooler. Wow. Two gals who are twins and at their age I would guess somewhat of a handful. LOL. We had five (4 girls and 1 boy). We've been married for 53 years and our oldest is 52, and we just got our baby back (x-husband no child support payments) and she is 35. She came with our granddaughter and their black panther, named Baby Kitty, who promptly bit me the first day here. But we are friends now. One of my daughters has an autistic son who made a try at school this year but is finally withdrawn and will be home schooled again.

Now you know more about me and my family. I am so glad you liked my photos. I have more on the other two blogs which you might want to check out.

I didn't read your book review (sorry). I love to read but I don't much like fiction. I prefer history or watching documentaries on television. I also write books.

Abraham Lincoln

Mari said...

I would like this book I think. I don't read a lot of mysteries but I do like them. I have read another book by this author and enjoyed it.

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Kayren, you did just fine in your review! Thank you for posting. I appreciate your honest feedback. And, of course, I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

To answer your semi-question--yes, my stories always have twists. That's part of my Seatbelt Suspense = fast-starting story, rapid pace, unexpected twists. And running beneath it all, symbolism and themes, if the reader takes the time to look beyond the surface. The challenge for me is, my readers KNOW I'm gonna twist the story, so keeping one step ahead of them in each book is getting harder and harder. :)

Blessings to you, and thanks again for your review--and for not giving too much of the story away.

Nancy said...

Hey! Thanks for the review. I've not heard of this author...so thanks for introducing. I LOVE suspense, but I've gotten away from reading fiction lately--enough drama in my own life I guess. I'll have to check her out!

kari and kijsa said...

Thanks for the great review!

Just stopping by to wish you the happiest of Halloweens!

blessings,

kari & kijsa

Linda said...

I found your blog as we have one of the same authors listed in our profile. We hang out on some of the same websites I noticed after visiting.

I was wondering if you have read Earlene Fowler as she is a mystery writer.

 
Designed by Blogs by Sneaky Momma